Rhizomatica has 16 villages (map) up and running with our own flavour of community controlled mobile wireless network.The technical aspects of making this happen was not trivial and this wiki contains information from the general to specific technical details not appropriate for the faint of heart.
You may find the Lexicon to be of use to decode acronymns and jargon.
- System Architecture
- Legal and social considerations
- Site selection
- RF planning
- Materials for installation
- Setting up the BTS
- Setting up the BSC
- Setting up WIFI links
- Setting up Administration computer
- Tower installation
- Hardware installation
Troubleshooting Information for Admins
- File:FreeSWITCH introduction.pdf
- File:SIP introduction.pdf
- File:Rhizomatica Presentation IS4CWN2013.pdf
- Wireless Networking in the Developing World - good book intro on wireless networking
Similar projects & other items of interest
- Endaga - Rural small scale GSM company.
- RZ_GSM - A german academic GSM project 
- Open BTS - Open source BTS software we used in our first experiments 
- Libre Mesh - mesh firmware based on OpenWRT
- Guifi.net - a massively huge spanish mesh network 
- Serval Mesh - Android phone mesh networks 
Consult the User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.